Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Outdoor Pracice

Our first as a team since last year and we met up
over at Emmrick Blvd. with skaters pulling into the
parking lot from 6-6:30pm.
We could not have asked for a nicer evening and I'm
sure the warm temps played a part in every ones
good mood.
That, and getting to open it up in a decent sized
parking lot instead of the confines of a 100m indoor
track.
What would have made it perfect was if the surface
had been totally dry, but it wasn't so we rolled through
the wet spots and I spent a good deal of time cleaning
my boots, bearings and wheels after I got home.
It was worth it though, to be with my team mates, out
in the sun and fresh air, enjoying what we all hold in
common, a love of speed skating.
It being the first outing of the new season I was happy
with the small improvements I've made over the winter.
Over all, my observation is that I am stronger.
Balance is better, and I can glide comfortably on one
foot longer.
Love that stroke and glide..
Passing doesn't freak me out anymore as long as the
speed of the pace line is within my ever changing limits.
And last night I had fun with it though I have more to
learn about that skill and the difference between indoor
and outdoor passing.
One of the great things about having hung in there through
the tough times, often being pulled, prodded and pushed along
by my coach and team mates, is that now, (at last!), instead of
everything being a struggle, I can actually have fun along with
the work.
No more feeling queasy going to practice either.
It's the small things in life that bring me the most
joy!

PS. Not that I liked waking up multiple times during the
night like I have for the past year or so, but at least I knew,
because I was awake so often, when I was actually sleeping.
Last night, and on gym nights, my head hits the pillow and
next thing I know the alarm is going off and it's time to wake
up to the new day.
Huh?
Where did all those hours of the night go?

No comments: