Friday, March 30, 2007

And So It Goes

Sometimes you run into bad luck, or it runs into you.
At practice last night my lower back went out, again.
Just when things were going pretty good makes this
a bit hard to take, but it happened, and now I have to
deal with it.
Coming in the door I felt fine, I haven't had a serious
back issue for a few weeks now, and there were no
warning signs before I booted up.
As soon as the pace line formed I noticed that when I
crossed over with my right foot I was reaching further
to the inside than I ever have before.
It was comfortable and my thought was I'd brought it
in from our outdoor practice on Tuesday.
The floor wasn't tight and when I pushed out towards
the wall with that leg it wouldn't hold at the furthest
part of the extension.
It didn't shake me up or anything but after a while I
shortened up the stroke to minimize slippage.
About 20 minutes into our warm up pace line, we
were doing catch the pack, I'd been called out three times
and the right side of my lower back started to feel strained.
For a moment as we went around the track it came to me
that outdoor and indoor are not the same thing and the
foot work is different.
When the pace picked up I got out of line so a gap wouldn't
open, me not being at 100%, I knew it was not going to help
matters to push beyond what I'd already done.
So Coach calls an end to warm up, we roll off the floor, and
on my way to sit down and get a drink I feel it go with one
push of my right leg.
"F" me.
Gently stretching to see if it's just a tight muscle when we
are called back out I go because I hope for the best and don't
want to be a wimp.
Passing drill is on tap and I do it but when I get to the front
of the line after my turn I can not maintain a bent back and
know I'm done for the night.
The drive home was silent and depressing.
This morning I had to slither out of bed and onto my knees
so I could ease my way into standing up.
That after taking a hand full of drugs before going to bed.
Not a good sign.
Well.
You have to roll with the punches and I guess it's my turn to
do it again.

No comments: