During relay practice last night I made one that
caused me to crash hard onto the floor and then
hard into the wall to my right.
There wasn't time to think.
As wall and body met with a solid impact, there
seemed no where for my legs to go. Curled up as
much as possible, I ducked my head waiting for
the impact of the skaters who wouldn't be able
to miss the obstacle I made.
Thankfully, I didn't take anyone else out.
Live and learn, it was all my fault.
Misjudging my partners speed, I came out to
meet him at the correct speed then slowed down
significantly as I felt I was moving out of the prime
relay zone.
He didn't slow down and trying to make the tag,
pushed hard, and my legs flew right out from
under me.
Haven't had that happen for some time and the
impact with the floor hurt.
The wall hurt too.
It knocked the pee right out of me, tore my shorts,
a first, and though I got up, I was disorientated and
couldn't think straight for a few seconds.
Thank God for helmets and a solid constitution!
Did some starts at the end of practice and coach Bob
wanted me to make a change in how I set my feet for
the standing start I'm now using.
A small change, but one that will work better once I
get a handle on it.
These were not my best efforts... but I did notice that
if I use that stance, and lean forward, getting my wheels
to lean a bit too and be less upright, that it gives me a
better push off.
We'll work all the kinks out...