Across the street from the Lehigh Valley's Velodrome,
in Trexlertown, PA, is one of the best locations to
skate on the east coast.
A closed track, with walker, bicycle and skate lanes,
professional athletes and parents with young kids on
tricycles share the same mile long loop. With flats,
rises and hills, all meandering pleasantly through
woods and open fields, there is something for everyone
to enjoy.
Except for a dog here and there, on an retractable
leash that their owners have reeled out to the full
50ft, it's a very safe place to skate.
Ten or so of us made our way there at 6pm Sunday
evening and whatever rain was traveling in our
direction held off till well after we all got home.
Used to be I didn't like outdoor much, simply because
I wasn't very good at it and skated alone a lot.
But, heck, stick with anything long enough and you'll
learn or burn.
Thankfully I'm doing the first and I find pack skating,
now that I can do it, a lot of fun!
We started off in one group for a few warm up laps and
our coach lead us out on his bike, keeping the pace slow
and steady.
Cutting the faster skaters loose and letting them move
out ahead of the pack I was in, Bob stayed with us for
a handful of miles guiding us through lead changes,
giving us pointers, and encouraging us to stay tight and
use the pace line to full advantage.
My back bothered me after 3 miles but that's normal for
outdoor and I stayed in and enjoyed pulling our 5 person
pack when it was my turn.
Step by step, things are getting better on several fronts,
and I'm all for the progress being made..
Monday, August 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment