Thursday, August 23, 2007

Can't Beat It

Sitting in a kayak with your son in front
of you, paddling in unison around one of
the islands in the Puget Sound.
Burrows to be exact. (I think) lol
A beautiful day to be on the water and
"Cory", our guide, gushed on about how
lucky we were to have to such a fine day.
The two other girls in our group, Jen and
Rebecka agreed.
Jen, an anaesthesiologist from a hospital
in Seattle, was the smartest among us. She
had, and slathered, her exposed body
parts with sunscreen.
Since the kayak trip was an un-expected
gift,I hadn't even brought a hat from home
so picked one up in town.
Thankfully I have a decent base tan, so in
three hours I got darker with a little
Pacific Coast sunburn. My son on the other
hand just got the sunburn.
He was lobster red last night and pretty
bright this morning.
That's what happens when your a computer
gaming geek and spend every minute online,
inside the house.
LOL
Didn't come across a ton of wildlife, but
we did see Kingfishers, Blue Heron, Harbor
Seals, a Porpoise, Lion Mane Jelly Fish, and
some diving birds.
And of course seagulls.
Once, when we stopped in a cove to chat and
float a while, I pulled my cell phone out
of a pocket on my life vest, and the plastic
bag it was sealed in, then called a friend
on the east coast.
That was just so cool!
Sure, I wasn't on the moon, but technology
can still amaze me.
In a kayak, in the Puget Sound, nothing but
nature in sight, and I can talk to someone
on the other side of the country.
Simple pleasures for the simple minded I
guess..
Not much happening today.
I'll walk the few miles from the Library
back to my Dad's and my son and I are going
to catch a movie later.
I would have loved to have gotten on a Ferry
for the day and gone out to the San Juan's
but I guess that will have to wait for another
visit.
Dad, his wife Lois and my son are content to
read all day and while I chomp at the bit to
get up and moving.
I'll be having to do much more of that when we
get back east, and go on a diet to boot.
We sure have been eating well out here :)
Talk about eating, tomorrow we're going to the
Casino to gamble and have lunch!

No comments: