Friday, August 3, 2007

Sizzle

Heat was on my mind yesterday afternoon
when I got in my car to go home after
work.
It was like climbing into an Easy Bake
Oven turned on high and I was what was
cooking.
Even called my coach to see if practice
had been pushed back an hour due to the
extreme heat.
It hadn't.
Actually, it wasn't as bad as I thought
it would be once I got to Emrick at 7pm.
There was even a bit of a breeze.
Working on form, not speed, we sprinted
up the hill each mile, for a total of 10.
After 5, I was light headed every time I
rolled out after the sprint effort, but
I've never done particularly well in the
heat so I wasn't too surprised with that.
What did surprise me was that,if I kept
my form intact, and didn't allow it to get
sloppily, I gained on the person in front
of me, going up hill.
A year or so ago I wouldn't have managed
more than two trips up that hill before I
totally died.
One challenged me.
We took a sit down break after the 10, I
drank some Gatorade and we moved over to
the lower flat track, for a passing drill.
I like that drill but the Gatorade didn't
sit well and in short order I felt like
I was going to puke.
That spelled the end of practice for me
but I'd had some decent moments so was OK.

No comments: