It was a drag to have to work Saturday and
miss the last race in the Eastern Seaboard
Series, the Debbie Kohl Memorial Race held
in Trexlertown, PA.
Debbie was a huge supporter of the Special
Olympics, and this race raises money each
year for the cause so dear to her heart.
But I simply couldn't put off starting at
the parts counter any longer.
Vacation and Labor Day had delayed it as it
was, and to ask for the day off would have
not only raised a few eye brows, but might
have caused hard feelings in the very guys
I need to support and train me for the job.
The first Debbie Kohl Memorial event, held
four years ago, was also my 1st race on
skates.
It was a Recreational 5k on the long track,
I wore my K2 fitness boots and it took me
a hard fifteen plus minutes to finish. A
skater on quads beat me. LOL
A lot has happened between then and now :)
This year, I came very close to placing at
Nationals
Even though I didn't, I learned many valuable
lessons that I'll be sure to put to use in my
training this season.
Skating has been such a surprising venue of
growth for me. Much of it having nothing to
do with the act of skating itself.
Opportunities to move past ideas that no longer
work, and to heal old wounds, abound, at least
for me.
Don't know if it works that way for anyone else..
But, I'll take an open door to growth, when, and
wherever, it decides to show up.
It might not always feel good. Usually,in the
beginning it doesn't.
Yet I do not want to stagnate, so grow I must.
Sunday, September 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment