Tuesday, September 11, 2007

MSF

Stands for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation,
and it's through this group that I'm learning
to pilot my first real sized motorcycle.
I don't think the Yamaha Mini Enduro I had as
a 15-16 yr. old counts towards my current
training.
Besides, that experience, which was outrageously
fun, and a high lite of my youth, was so long
ago, I have forgotten the color of the bike.
Yet, I'll never forget the thrill, or sense of
freedom that little machine gave me.
Now, it's doubtful, at my age, I'll return to
riding mile after mile of undulating power line
trails, out in the middle of no where, like I
did back then.
These days, I'm thinking more of weekends and
evenings cruising the two lane blacktop that
follows the path of the Delaware river.
Our great state of Pennsylvania, which I am proud
to call home, offers this 15 hour course, free,
to all hard working tax payers. The desk portion
is held at the local community college, and being
very popular, spaces fill quickly. When I went to
sign up, the Friday/Sunday class I wanted was full.
Rats!, but I took a chance, signed up as an alternate,
and kept my fingers crossed.
Lucky me, and the one other alternate, two folks
didn't show up that first night and we got in.
Whew!
Experienced rider or not, your wanted. In return,
professional instructors, teach you how to
ride safe and have fun doing it.
Bikes and helmets are provided, if you don't
have either of your own. All you do need is a
valid M class learners permit, which you receive
when you pass the written portion of the motorcycle
licensing test at your local DMV.
Much to my chagrin, it took me two times to do so..
Talking to the people waiting with me in line the
second time, I learned it wasn't uncommon for it to
take more than once.
That first Friday night after getting all our paper
work checked out, we spent 3 hours going over half
the course manual and watched relevant sections of
a video. Then, the following Sunday afternoon, it
was off to the range, located behind State Police
barracks, for the real deal.

Tomorrow: Sitting On The Bike

No comments: