Well, it wasn't all labor but my legs
sure thought so by days end.
Eight of us skater folk gathered at my
coaches house Monday morning, and after
a brief delay climbed into two cars and
drove north east to the Delaware Water
Gap.
The weather couldn't have been nicer for
a walk about!
Our goal, to start out at the Dunnfield
Creek parking lot and hike the 3.7 miles
to Sunfish Pond, a glacial remnant of a
far distant era, have lunch, and then
turn around and come back down.
Only one of our number wore boots, the
rest of us wore normal everyday sneakers,
the running type, or the flat footed "Van"
style skateboard shoes.
The sneaker set would all have a tale to
tell by hikes end, and it was a sorry
story of sore toes, and achy ankles.
Till then, we had a gorgeous mix of fair
weather, beautiful wooded scenery, lot's
of laughs, and the challenge of navigating
over the roots and rocks that covered the
majority of the trail coming and going.
Here I'll admit, that when we were on the
move, I looked down at the trail more than
"around", because when I didn't, I paid for
my lapse by stubbing toes and tripping.
Grace on feet I am not!
LOL
Once we got to Sunfish I was surprised at
all the people there ahead of us. And one
naughty young lady, in another group,
decided to go in for a swim even though
it's well known that it's forbidden.
We didn't stay lakeside very long after
eating the lunches we'd brought up in our
various backpacks.
And on the down mountain return, our always
steady, fearless leader lead us over to a
different trail, (green,) that looked, at
least in the beginning, that it didn't see
much use.
The tight confines opened after a mile or
more and eventually took us into the Dunnfield
Creek ravine. This area is really well worth
whatever hike it takes to get there.
Waterfalls and deep clear pools make it a
spot to savor.
Seven hiking miles doesn't sound like much,
but if your not used to it, it is.
Not only were my toes and ankles sore but
my quads wanted to file a complaint all
their own.
This morning I noticed the return of a tiny
bit of bounce in my step going upstairs, but
yesterday I spent a far amount of time at my
desk massaging the soreness out of my sissy
thighs.
:)
Thursday, September 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
7 miles is a long way, especially when 3.5 of it is uphill! Its good to use our muscles in different ways, but we pay for it! I went hiking last week and felt it in my calves and my butt from the climbing. And my toes from slamming into the front of my boots on the way down! Never hiked at the Delaware Water Gap. I should!
Post a Comment