Friday, October 19, 2007

There But For The Grace...

No indoor practice for me last night.
The house behind mine and two to the left
caught fire. When my son had mentioned he
smelled wood burning I didn't think too
much of it.
The neighbor directly behind us often has
little camp fires in his back yard year
round..
It was an old building that had long ago
been converted into 4-5 apartments and flames
could be seen through the west side windows.
Our little street filled with people coming
from God knows where, I didn't recognize
any of them, to see what was going on.
As fire trucks laced the night with sirens
we watched helpless, hoping everyone had
gotten out in time.
Hours later, firemen where still working on
flareups, or more accurately, smoke ups.
Finally I had to go to bed with the lights
from the emergency vehicles illuminating my
bedroom walls.
This morning all the trucks are gone and the
building stands dark and deeply wounded.
Windows broken, interior black, I wonder where
the occupants slept last night..

No comments: