Friday, June 20, 2008

Transitions

The clock is ticking for my son to leave
and in each our own way we are preparing
for his ship date.
I think he is getting a bit nervous.
Me too.

Money is tighter than I ever remember it
being and that is stressing me out way
above my comfort level.
Used to cutting things close, I've run out
of bandaids for being cash strapped and am
now just bleeding freely.
So... I'm doing what others in my situation
have done, and are doing now in this economy.
I'm trying to sell stuff to make ends meet.
Including my Litespeed Titanium road bike.
Yes, Flo Jo is on Ebay. And while I will
greatly miss owning her, and riding her, the
fact is, she is one of the few things I own
that would have value to someone else.
I'll be lucky to get half of what I paid for
her..and that is a big ouch.

Things I'm doing to cut back:
Moved my bed downstairs so I only have to
AC the first floor.
Commute on the Ninja several days a week.
Only drink coffee at work where both it and
Half and Half are free.
Eat cereal for lunch, at work 5 days a week
because milk there is free.
Cut my own hair.
OK.
Confession.
I already do that.
And I stopped coloring it to save on money
years ago.
Other stuff.
Break small sized Meaty Bones in half for my
dogs which they get for treats and they go
twice as far.
And instead of buying canned dog food to
sweeten the dry I feed them, I mix in a tiny
bit of the canned cat food I have to get for
our old cat that has bad teeth.
They don't seem to mind.
LOL
I no longer feed the birds.
And went so far as to take my feeders down.
Now that doesn't sound like much does it?
But I've been feeding birds in my backyard,
through thick and thin for all of my adult
life.
Not doing so saves $30.- a month..
So they are on their own.
Lucky me, my son only eats certain items, which
I buy.
I'm eating a lot of cheese sandwiches..and am
thankful when I have Bologna to go on them.
Compared to many around the world, I am lucky,
and I know it.
Still, it's an odd, uncomfortable place to be
and I look forward to healthier financial times.

No comments: