Yesterday I followed through with a trade off I'd
only recently made, and traded outdoor skating and
racing for cycling.
Though I started out almost five years ago as a
outdoor fitness skater,and have enjoyed countless
hours training with my team, I never found pleasure
in the actual part of racing outdoors itself..
Longer distances on skates are tough for me.
They're not a piece of cake for anybody in fact.
For me they hurt bad.
Mind numbingly bad.
At this point in time, it is more pain than I am
willing to embrace with happy thoughts.
Now I'll be the first to admit that I have never
been, and at this stage doubt I will ever be,
athletically gifted.
Yet I've participated in many types of sport
throughout my life, and I don't plan on stopping
that now.
Since I've never excelled, (well I was a decent
enough swimmer),I've had to find meaning racing
a race, among large groups of other athletes, by
myself.
Because I'm slow.
Speed is not my forte.
Nor, I've found, at this point, is suffering.
I can grasp working hard, but suffering for pleasure
is not in me.
Part of me wishes that was different..
Part of me, wishes I were different than I am..
In my heart there is nothing but admiration for
those who race outdoors.
Those who suffer for it.
They simply rock!
But it isn't for me anymore..
Friday, June 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow, does this mean you will skate during the winter season and then take out the bike in the spring? Nationals are indoors?
Post a Comment