It's played with two sets of pieces, that
are two different colors, often black and white.
Common sense says it's that way to minimize
confusion once the game begins.
With that arrangement, you always know where
your team/pieces are on the board.
In inline speed skating we have Teams too, and
at competitions, we wear uniforms to identify
just who we are and what Team we belong to.
Teams are rivals, some friendly, and some not so
friendly.
Most sports, including baseball, football, and
soccer are made up of athletes that begin and
end the season together, for better or for worse.
Those on your team at the beginning, people you
train and sweat with, cry and laugh with, are who
you walk on the field with at the seasons end
championships.
Not so with inline speed skating.
Here, because of low numbers and age divisions,
some teams come up short for the all important
relay events at Nationals, the Championships of
indoor speed skating.
You only have 3 people on your team for your Masters
4 mix?
Well, perhaps the Team down the road, has what your
short of.
Coaches get together to figure this all out and
skaters are traded, to form relay groups, specifically
for Nationals.
The reality of the matter, is that at Nationals,
regions are pitted against regions, not so much
Teams against Teams.
And regions, will do what ever they need to do to
have the best chance to win, including bringing in
outside skaters.
For along time now I've known who my relay partner
for the Veteran 2 mix was going to be.
Jeff Foster.
He is well known, respected, and very fast.
Way, way faster than I am, or any other woman in our
region who is in his age group.
Which is the reason we were pared up together months
and months ago.
Being that there are only two women on our SOS team
who are eligible to skate with Jeff in a mixed event,
and one hasn't been training due to an injury, that
left me.
Yikes!
Relay with Jeff?
At first I was scared, then honored.
Sure, I knew it was a default thing, but I didn't
want to let him or our team down so committed myself
to be the best I could be by Nationals, to not be
found wanting when all was said and done.
With six weeks to go till we leave for that event,
I don't have to be concerned about that any more.
Last night my coach pulled me aside before practice
started, and told me my relay with Jeff has been
given to another skater, from another Team in our
Region.
Due to policy, and that she's faster than I am.
So there you go.
What was I supposed to say to that?
I'm a team player.
And a pawn it seems.
My reaction?
"Whatever".
How I felt once the news settled in?
Once I was on the floor in the paceline?
Bite me.
Friday, June 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ouch! That's pretty black and white, no grey. Hope you can keep on keeping on, despite the bite.
PVC地板橡胶地板
PVC导电地板活动地板
运动地板
橡胶楼梯踏步
橡胶盲道
彩绘地面彩绘壁画
高强耐磨地面
压模地面环氧自流平地坪
地板公司PU球场
EPDM球场跑道地毯
云石google左侧优化
深圳google左侧优化
网络营销服务
网站优化网站优化建设
google左侧推广
google左侧排名
深圳石材石材公司
石材产品大理石
砂岩艺术面
石英石花岗岩
透光石岗石
微晶石仿砂岩
文化石仿古木
人造石深圳人造石
洗手盆水晶石
石材家具马赛克
石材阶梯影雕
石材雕刻园林石
石材拼花板岩
环氧地坪http://www.mmm1mmm.com
Post a Comment