Monday, June 18, 2007

Regionals-Part Two

Despite the demons in my head, trying their
best to mess with me, I didn't do any of the
things they were suggesting Saturday morning.
One, being to pack up, drive home, and never
compete again.
No, my pre-race anxiety hit an all time high
but I did what I was there to do. And that
was to roll over to the start line each time my
name was announced, and wait for the gun to
go off.
Good news.
My feet didn't move a hair during my standing
start, which as a start method, is still new
to me.
For weeks previous I'd been jumping or rolling
forward as I practiced the same start on our
home floor..
Thank God for blessings large and small!
As the morning went into afternoon, and my
races moved from the 1000m, to the 500 on to
the 700m, I found that I was skating better.
Between my own races I watched and cheered
for everyone else's, ate, chatted with my
team mates, listened to music and relaxed
as much as possible in the raucous environment.
In the 700m I was still no speed queen, but
really loved the new MPC blues I had on!
After the run off the gun, and as I settled
into my first lap, I felt smooth and rhythmic.
Like things weren't such a struggle.
Think I might have even enjoyed myself..
Don't ask me why I like those super hard
wheels better than the firm greens I've been
racing on but as I crossed the finish line
and rolled to the exit area I thought,
Damn!, these wheels were made for me:)
One of the best feelings when you compete,
at least for me, is when it is over.
After my 3rd race I was happy.
And there wasn't that huge wave of relief
that I am accustomed to experiencing..
Maybe, in spite of my shaky nerves, I'm
getting used to competing..

No comments: