Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Outdoor

Outdoor practice started for a handful of hearty souls
late yesterday afternoon.
Pulling pieces of my long un-used cold weather cycling
apparel from the back closet, I wasn't sure how to dress.
Thankfully I brought two jackets.
Along with gloves, a turtle fur neck gaiter and an inner
helmet cap.
The heavy jacket got me sweaty, so I switched out to a wind
front cycling affair.
I can always count on feeling surprised the first time I
skate outdoors, after being indoor for six months.
It's just a different animal..and my body says "Hey! What
the hell are you doing to me?"
My goal to start, per my coach, is to keep my heart rate in
the 75% range, which for me means 135-140.
You'd think that would be a piece of cake.
It's not.
Especially halfway to 3/4's up the hill.
Best I could manage there was the mid to low 150's.
Maybe I should have taken my skates off and walked up..
As slow as I was skating, it was like I was walking.
:O
LOL!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

After struggling to keep my HR down, especially when running, I did 2 things:
I stopped wearing my HR monitor when running, and I adjusted my zones upward. I came to the realization that my maximum HR is probably alot higher than the formulas predict, and that HR while running is going to be higher than during other activities (cycling, spinning). It also doesn't seem to change a whole lot, even as I become more "fit." Would love to know your thoughts on using HR as a guide during workouts.