Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Cross Roads

Standing off to the side at practice last night,
watching as team mates finished up a drill, I just
didn't want to be there.
And later, at the start of a new drill, an over
whelming urge to take my skates and go home swept
over me.
It's somewhere I have been before..
And it's not a place I like being.
Though I stayed, and practice wasn't as bad as
Sundays, I regretted having lost the high degree
of comfort I've been enjoying for months.
Without intending it, the floor, that has been so
comfortable, so solid and inviting, something I'd
relished digging into with my wheels and pushing
off of with determination, going faster and faster,
has become cold and slippery.
My joy has been replaced by fear.
How can you lose confidence so fast?

My lower back hurts, my leg hurts and my boot digs
into my right ankle where it never has before.
And I'm angry about it..

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Time to fight back. Can you "make friends" with the floor outside of regular practice. Talk to the floor, make a deal. You will give the floor the proper respect and it won't take you down as hard.