Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Metalurgy

Hit the gym last night for the first time in
over two months.
No membership fee, no locker room, no towel
service.
Just metal plates, Olympic bars and a rack of
dumbbells.
That and two slide boards.
Like the hard core boxing gym in "Rocky",
this no frills set up is for getting down to work,
not picking up a date.
What it lacks in amenities, it more than makes
up for in camaraderie among friends.
Eight of us moved around each other taking
turns at one station and then the next, sharing
space, stories and a few laughs.
Can't ask for a better way to spend an hour.
Around 8pm I said goodnight, and left the jovial group
to finish up without me.
In a cold car, pulling away from my coaches
house, I could smell a hint of iron on the palm of
my hands.
Heard a bit of bad news last night.
One of my favorite older skaters has thrown
in the towel and has given up the sport.
Sad news for me.
Not sure of the real reason and I wonder if he
even knows yet.
Life outside the speed team had taken up much
of his time in the past four or five months, and
when he returned to practice things weren't what
he expected or hoped for.
The more things change, the more things stay
the same..
We were the same people only going faster.
He was the same person, only going slower.
Being away for so long from our differing personalities,
a few perhaps challenging, I think we irritated him.
Well, it's not like I haven't jumped a ship or
two and I wish him joy in what ever waters
he lands in.
Other bad news.
No practice till Thursday night.
And a League Meet on Sunday.
Ack!
I've had enough racing to last me a few weeks..
I'm really not in the mood...

No comments: